2002 Squares is my latest Scrappy Trip Around The World quilt. I’ve made a few Scrappy Trips, using the methods in Bonnie Hunter’s FREE pattern from her Quiltville blog.
I altered the pattern slightly to accommodate my own math. I save my binding strips in big “cinnamon rolls” shapes. Once I have a few rolls, I’ll try to add them into some kind of strip-based or jelly roll based design. My binding, however, is cut 2-1/4″ wide, which means I need to switch the math a tiny bit for anything that is originally designed for a jelly roll, which are strips measuring 2-1/2″ wide.
You can hop over to Quiltville to see the original, super-easy method to create these quilt blocks.
It is similar to a bargello-style quilt in terms of construction:
- Create a strip set
- Sew the strip set into a tube
- Sub-cut the strip set
- Rip out one seam to reveal a set of joined squares
- Rip out a second seam, etc
- Arrange the set to create a feature diagonal color
- Sew the block
That is it in a very tight nutshell.
Altered Math & Tips
Here are some of the details & tricks for my binding scraps quilt.
Since my strips were 2-1/4″, I ended up sewing 8 strips together in my sets. My sub-cut pieces were also 2-1/4″. The squares in this quilt finished at 1-3/4″ with 64 squares per block.
Also, as I was using binding pieces, none of them were with regular width of fabric. To combat this, I joined many pieces of bindings that shared a similar value. Using this longer piece, I then created MEGA strip sets. Each one was probably over 2 yards long. Here’s a zoom in, below. You can see how much that bonus seam does not matter at all in the quilt block.
By working with long strip sets, this quilt went together really fast. And that is saying something because, this is a fast pattern in itself.
When creating my block, my only restriction was to choose the darkest color to be the diagonal line. As far as dark & light fabrics go, you’ll see from block to block the “darkest” fabric varies quite a bit, but it is all relative to the adjacent 1-3/4″ squares surrounding it.
I felt like I had a mountain of binding pieces. Wahoo! Turns out. Those only made about 6 or 7 blocks.
I needed to dive into the scrap ziplocs to find more long fabric pieces. This was easy! Most of the longest skinny fabric scraps are from quilt backs. Either my own, or some that my longarm quilt customers may have donated to me.
Perfect. I’m on a roll now. Except, wait. Looks like each pile of scraps yields only a few more blocks at a time.
The cycle continues.
More blocks stitched.
And each time I added a new set of blocks, I would rearrange the design wall. Any given strip set had a similar color set, so I needed to mix them into whatever was previously stitched.
Hooray! I have 30 blocks!
This super scrappy quilt top has 30 blocks with 64 pieces each. My grand total of squares, if I stopped right now, would be 1,920. My OCD team at the house decided we should take the quilt to a solid 2000 squares. I opted to create borders and add 20 additional squares spilling into each corner. I knew this quilt would be going to my son, and his birth year is 2002. What the heck, I might as well add 2 more squares to have a birth-year quilt. The two additional squares are the only two pieces of military uniform I added into this quilt. (You know, I like adding in some military uniform pieces.)
If you want to go geometry crazy, technically this quilt is 2,010 rectangles.
The quilt is already on his bed. I love how it turned out.
His younger brother was my quilt-holding assistant today. He’s been bragging about how tall he is. Well, that backfired on ya, kiddo. Now you get to hold the huge quilts.
This design was so busy with color, pattern, print, scale, and seams, I simply quilted a meander design from one edge to the other edge.
One last tip: If you are digging through the fabric scraps, trimming everything to 2-1/4″, and your pattern requires you to seam rip, maybe do not wear a black shirt.