Antique Linens Quilt Challenge
Prepare to be overloaded with images of my Antiques Linen Challenge Quilt.
My local longarm group issued a challenge to stitch up an antique linen in the style made popular by Kelly Cline and others. There are so many cool ways to incorporate old linens into new designs.
The design I went with is more of a Frankenstein version of a linen challenge. I’ll lay out the reasons why I needed to add all sorts of things to this quilt.
- One Handkerchief
- Four crocheted coasters
- One Bread Basket Liner (cut into quarters)
- Two large crocheted doilies
- Two different bed sheets
- Four kinds of lace
The center of the quilt starts with a men’s handkerchief. It is plain and simple. I bought it at an estate sale and didn’t notice that it had stains on it. I went ahead and appliqued traditional orange peel shapes over the stains.
I created spaces within my quilt using techniques from Free-Motion Framework, my most recent book release. Simply divide the space in to large usable shapes and then practice a quilting fill within that shape.
The bread basket liner with a crocheted trim was next. I cut the liner into fourths and stay-stitched over the crocheted edge. I then appliqued over the cut crocheted edges with a smaller orange peel design.
It was really fun trying to think of different things to quilt into all these spaces. Unfortunately, the pictures jump around a bit. That happens because I was quilting “just one motif” at a time, rolling the quilt up and back on the longarm’s frame.
The lovely tan coasters are serving a fantastic purpose. They are covering seams where I mis-measured the solid fabric borders. That’s right, now you all know all my business.
I had two large doilies that I think are intended for end tables. I decided maybe I should chop those in half. The crochet was so tight that even when I cut the pieces with a rotary blade, nothing happened. There was no fray, no wobble, nothing.
At this point my mom suggested set the center of the quilt on-point to make it more interesting. Man, she was right! I generally quilt with the brightest fabrics I can get my hands on, so this piece was a visual challenge.
Thank goodness for the Glide Presser Foot! I’m 100% certain this quilt was only stitch-able thanks to the bowl shape floating freely over the lumpy pieces in my quilt.
I added some really neat triangles into the second-to-last border. I needed something to still puff on this design as I’ve quilted most of it to death. The batting in this quilt is one layer of American Fiber 80/20 and one layer of hi-loft Fairfield Poly.
This quilt has EVERYTHING, and I’m adding more! I don’t have a photo, but I’ve added four vintage/costume buttons to on-point center of the design. This is to cover up the lack of points on my large orange peel shapes.
I then thought the buttons looked a bit extra, so on all the quilted intersections on the handkerchief: CRYSTALS. Yes. It is out of control. Then I thought, “Well, I own a small cache of crystals, maybe I should put them on every cross-hatched intersection in the triangle border, too.” That isn’t done yet, but man, it will be cool when I’m finished.
Oh, right, you haven’t seen the whole quilt composition. It is very hard to get a photo of this quilt where the features really stand out. I took one, but then altered it to be darker so you may see it a bit better.
You can see it in person at the Greater San Antonio Quilt Show, Sept 20-21, 2019