SAMQG President’s Challenge – The Cure Wish
San Antonio Modern Quilt Guild
Each year our San Antonio Modern Quilt Guild (SAMQG) issues a quilting challenge set out by that year’s current president. This year’s challenge was art inspired: Remember that you can choose any artist/author/musician, etc. and you can make anything you want. I just want you to be inspired! I can’t wait to see what is inspiring to you.
Well, that sounds awesome. I chose The Cure’s Wish album cover. Those black lines in the artwork (pictured above) are screaming to become quilting lines.
Here’s how I made my challenge piece:
I have some blue and red fabrics from my scrap bins and batting leftover from a longarm quilting project. I also used a small bit of heat’n’bond fusible web.
First, I needed to make a few heat’n’bond circles to make that sand dollar. I figured if one sand dollar was good, more was better. At this point, I also didn’t know what exactly I was making. My only size restriction was the piece of red fabric. Who knows how many circles I’d need.
I auditioned the placement of my sand dollar circles.
Following the package instructions, I fused the circles to the red back ground. Of course, half way through I thought “Oh man, I hope I don’t actually make Mikey Mouse!!” ((Great. Now I’m picturing Goth Mikey with black clothes and eyeliner.))
Marking the Quilt
I used the frixion pen to throw a few lines as reference. Loosely following hands and eyeballs design of the inspiration piece.
Yep, that seems good.
My plan was to quilt the piece heavily in red to is would have texture without too much taking away from the heavy black quilting lines that would be stitched last.
The black lines will not be enough to hold the piece together, either, so I really did need these red lines first.
I also used a shade of blue on all the sand dollar circles.
The original artwork has such a hand-drawn look, I thought the best way to achieve that would be to go over my stitching lines multiple times.
And lastly, black lines. Each black line is stitched over-and-over at least twice. The heavier eyes are stitched much more.
To finish this quilt I wanted to used a facing instead of a binding. I didn’t want a traditional bound edge to make this “art piece” turn into a placemat.
After trimming the challenge piece to 17-1/2″ x 10″, I applied my facing pieces, flipped them to the wrong side, and (GASP) hand stitched them down.
I may still end up blocking this little guy so he’ll hang a bit more squarely.
Here’s the big reveal-
Thanks for a great President’s Challenge, SAMQG!