Lime Green Clamshell Quilt
Lime Green Clamshell Quilt is Here!
Wow! This clamshell quilt is really green! I think the lighting in the (above) picture have it tamed down a tiny bit. I’m talking green green green; mixed of course, with black and fabulous shades of grey. You’ll see. It is a really fun quilt panel.
As you might know, I have lost my mind with these quilted clamshells. I started quilting one single quilt and that spiraled into a design collection in the book, The Quilted Clamshell. While down this rabbit hole, I designed and created three fabric panels at Spoonflower. I couldn’t help myself. I needed one more panel. This newest (4th) panel is inspired by the colors of Minecraft. I know, crazy, right? Inspiration is everywhere. Of course, my fan club was quick to tell me that Minecraft does in fact have EVERY color. Yes. Ok. Got it, kids. =) Perhaps I need an EVERY color panel next???
Side story: One thing you’ll notice in my actual real quilt panel above is that the lowest row stops on green. This was a test order to see if the colors and scale are correct in my design. Well, they were off. ((Operator error!!)) I have corrected the hiccup, and you’ll see in the 36″ x 40″ panel available, the lowest row finishes with a dark grey. (The logo watermark doesn’t appear on the available panel, either.)
How’d ya quilt it?
I’m so glad you asked!
I used the design methods in The Quilted Clamshell to change up the quilting design motif variables. By changing the motif variable, I was able to achieve a different look in each row of clamshells.
With the book as a reference, it was easy to create something new without too much “Oh, what should it look like next.” thinking. Sometimes coming up with a concept is the most frustrating part.
I used a sour apple green thread on all the lighter colored clamshells. Thanks to the always-fun color theory, some clams look like I’ve used yellow threads. Some look like I’ve used darker green. Nope; all Sour Apple Maxilock green. (amazon link)
I switched to a Oxford Grey thread in the needle and bobbin for the black clamshells. (amazon link)
When quilting the black clamshells, I switched up another variable mentioned in The Quilted Clamshell, and that is the starting point. All the design motifs for these clams start at the top-center of the shape, rather than at the bottom point.
To grow this quilt in size, I added a three borders to the design: 1/2″, 2″, and 4″ widths. This gave me room for even more quilting. I actually tried to make little 3/8″ pebbles all along the thinnest border. Yikes! But, you know, I do love trying things.
The borders kept on with the slate thread in needle and bobbin. Here’s something I’ve never done- I treated the two borders as one when quilting. I thought about going a traditional route, where each color would get its own design, but ultimately, graffiti quilting style won out.
It is wild. I love it. It is just a hair outside my comfort zone as far as colors go. I’m so glad I tried out a few new designs and a few new quilting/border styles.
If you are looking to give it a try yourself, here’s a link to the Spoonflower quilt panel.
If you don’t have your copy of The Quilted Clamshell, you should totally grab one!