Radiant Orchid Guild Challenge
The San Antonio Modern Quilt Guild issues a President’s Challenge. Last year, the President’s Challenge was an Emerald Pantone Color of the Year themed project. This year, the challenge is also Pantone themed, but we have to make a mini quilt. The only restriction for the mini is that is be less than 36″ on each side.
This is my first Radiant Orchid block or mini. If you’re going to call it a block- it is a BIG block. If you are calling it a mini – It is 19″ square with zero mini pieces.
A Fat Eigthth of that purple polka dot was provided by the President as part of the challenge.
Wanna see how I made it? I busted out my Bias Bars for this one.
First up, cut true bias strips. I cut my strips 1 1/4″ wide strips on an exact 45 degree angle.
Then I folded the fabric in half – WRONG SIDES TOGETHER – and stitched 1/8″ seam allowance down the whole length of the strip.
Ok, now pick the 3/8″ Bias Bar. These bars are pretty great. The are flat pieces of metal that you stick into the bias tube. The metal heats and helps press the strip. Unfortunately the metal heats so – wowsa, that thing can get hot, so be careful. Make sure the the seam is centered on the back of the bar.
You can see in the bar inside the tube right there. The seam is on the back. Here’s a picture of the “wrong side”. These Bias Bars are great because you don’t have to turn your tube right side out with a fancy turning tool. Just make sure your seam allowances is on the back and you’re all set.
I made a couple colors and hit them with starch to keep the nice Bias Tape look while I worked with the placement.
Next I needed to decided on the shapes I wanted to frame on the mini quilt. I went with … Bizarrooo Football and Circle.
The football shape was first. I pinned it to the background.
My plan was to use Stitch Witchery fusible webbing to hold the bias tape in place temporarily, until I could get it to the sewing machine. Turned out, that fusible wasn’t strong enough for this application. I had to go with the pins.
I have been wanting to try this stuff ever since last October. My Hexagons Made Easy class folks recommended it to me. It is monofilament thread. Last time I used any monofilament, it did not go well. The class peeps were telling me that Superior Threads Monofilament had a smoke and a clear that was amazing. The class was right! I used smoke. Turned out wonderful!!!
I just had to edge stitch around the bias tape. Mostly, I had to make sure the cut edge of my bizarroooo football was caught under the bias tape.
I had originally just planned the football shape. I went back and added the half circle later. I was trying to get some balance in the design.
The project is due in May, so I have a bit of time to decide on the quilting or decide to make something else and equally orchid-y.