Quilting Arts June/July

I have some news…

Quilting Arts

Quilting Arts June/July 2011 (image from QuiltingArts.com)

A while back I had a tutorial for a portrait quilt on this blog.  I later submitted that little quilt for Quilting Arts submission call for all things portrait for their June/July 2011 issue.  Holy smokes- it got accepted! I did have to take the tutorial off the blog, but you can see the whole how-to in the current issue of Quilting Arts. I have to say, magazine editors do an amazing job with the layout and photos.  The “spread” looks pretty cool.

My Son- Portrait Quilt

My Son- Portrait Quilt, in Quilting Arts

When I was notified I was accepted- get this- I got a call from Pokey Bolton herself!  Craziness!  Ms. Bolton, right there on my cell phone.

I’m quite thrilled with how the quilt turned out and so honored to be in such a wonderful, non-traditional publication.  And can I just tell you how insanely excited my 8yo was to see his picture IN a magazine?!  I’m sure he would have been happier if it was something put out by Marvel or Lego (NOT quilt related)  but he was still pretty stoked.

The magazine is on stands now.  You’ll have to see all the amazing portraits and techniques to transform fabric into realistic look ‘pictures’.

7 Responses to “Quilting Arts June/July”

1. Maria Elkins says:

Awesome! Congratulations!!!

2. Susan says:

That is big news indeed! Congratulations!!

3. Jean says:

Congratulations!!! It is a great article, one that I am planning on doing myself, as I love the way your son came out in fabric.

4. Joann Farley says:

So excited to see your article! And what a handsome son you have! Keep movin’ girl!

Joann

5. Sally Simmons says:

Congratulations, Jen! I was so excited about your portrait method, that I did one the first day I got my magazine in the mail! It looks great, but my question is how did you quilt the background when it is right around the face? Like under your son’s left eye, how close did you go? Also, did you quilt IN the face or just where the applique was fused on?
    Sally

6. Jen Eskridge says:

I quilted right up to the eye. I used a small swirl pattern to all-over fill his face. I used a blue water soluble marker to outline where his face would “end” and I quilted up to that line with the tight swirls. For the background, I used bigger pebbles- about 1/2 to 1″ in diameter. By changing the type of quilting on the head and background- it really makes his face “pop” off the picture when viewed from about 10′ away. Unfortunately, it doesn’t photograph as 3D-looking, though. :( I also used thread that would kind-of vanish into the fabrics, leaving only texture. I think it was some Coats and Clark thread, actually- maybe it was a cheap serger spool, something like that.