Free Beach Bag Pattern

I need a BEACH BAG!

Summer is coming up and I need a large bag to hold the towels, flip flops, sun screen, $2.00 (for 4 snow cones) and swim trunks- oh and dive rings since the kids can swim well this year.

I need a BEACH BAG! … and I thought you might too!

{{Download the PDF here.}}

Beach Bag! 12″D, 14″H, 20″L

I have drafted a fun BEACH BAG pattern for you! It is a quilted bag and is completely finished on the inside. The bag has two large pockets on each end and is super soft and machine wash/dry-able. The pattern includes a full size template for the curved bag ends and can be made from pre-quilted fabric or fabric which you’ve quilted yourself.

I opted to make my own quilted fabric using some Prints Charming, for Free Spirit, pieces I have. And I used up my last bit of pink cotton webbing for the handles.  (I had to write that because I know me, and in a month or so I’ll be going crazy looking for that pink cotton webbing that I swear I still have.)

Yeh, it IS a big bag. He’s 5 years old, and he’s IN it.

If you want to try machine quilting on a smaller scale, the bag sides and body, this is a good project for you to really try out the machine quilting. I quilted feathers, but you could certainly quilt whatever design you like- from easy meandering or straight line stitches to intricate design details to really compliment the fabrics you’ve chosen. One other thing- if you have UFO pieces or UFO/orphan blocks, those would make a GREAT bag body! The rectangle used to make the body is 38″ x 20″.

{{Download the PDF here.}}

Bound Edges

If you can bind a quilt, you can make this bag! Give it a try.

Hum… incidentally, if you follow the blog, you know I’m based in Kansas……..

Looks like I also need a BEACH!

{{Download the PDF here.}}

NOTE:  This free pattern was originally going to be a blog tutorial, but I decided to make it a downloadable pdf instead.  This pattern has all photographs where you’d normally see construction diagrams.

Feel free to share your bag pictures in the ReannaLily Designs photo pool on flickr.

40 Responses to “Free Beach Bag Pattern”

1. Dana says:

That’s beautiful, thanks for the pattern!

2. Debbie Fick says:

THANks Jen!

3. Judith says:

Jen, Thanks for the free pattern. What a great bag! You are one clever gal!!

4. Mariasun says:

Muchas gracias.
    Es precioso.
    saludos

5. Mari-ann says:

Hi.
    I really like your bag. And I just downloaded it. Thank you soooo much. :-)
    Have a nice day!

6. kaholly says:

Thanks for this! It’s perfect. I am looking forward to whipping up one or two to have on hand for my summertime guests! ~karen

7. WilmaNC says:

Thanks for sharing a cool pattern!!

8. nancy says:

Love, love, love…thank you!

9. Tammy says:

Very cute! I could use a beach bag this summer as we spend nearly every weekend at the lake. Thanks!

10. Leigh says:

SWEET! Love it!

11. Thanks for sharing the pattern and instructions for this lovely bag! Hope to find some time to ….

12. Kathy says:

Thanks for sharing!

13. sunny says:

Thank you! I can’t wait to make this. We spend weekends on kayaks, and always take towels and a change of clothes ‘just in case’.

14. [...] is almost here! Need a beach bag? Then this one will not only get you in style, but is large enough to fit your smallest child [...]

15. What a great bag!! I love sewing bags, and this one is perfect. I think I will try using some of that new vinyl coated fabric for the inside??? great for throwing in wet towels etc!

16. Rachel says:

Hi! I love all your work! It looks like we are fellow military wives? So excited to find you on here!! We are in South Korea now. I am linking your beach bag pattern to a Summer Bag Round up over on my blog!! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Rachel

17. auntie chris says:

I want to do this.Love the style!

18. Irene Berta says:

Thanks a lot. I was looking for one bag like this. God bless you!!

19. Janine says:

Thanks for this bag
    I speak a little english but I could it

20. barbara johnson says:

Thank you so much for ths bag pattern… I’m a retiree living a wonderful life in a community… We have 3 pools and a lot of my social life is spending the days with my “buddies” pooside while knitting and crocheting (in between swims).. Thank you again,
    Barbara, Middleboro, MA

21. Maria Buz'Zard says:

Thank for the pattern, just finished making mine. I love it! I wanted to send a picture, but I don’t see where I can do this. thanks again
    Maria Buz’Zard, Prescott, AZ

22. Diane Bourg says:

Daryl made a couple of these already and showed them off to the group. I’ll have to try and get her to send pics.

23. Julie in NM says:

Just love this bag. Needed a gift for co-worker moving to CA but not sure if she will get it. What I really, really like about this pattern…yes it’s big but NOT DEEP. Thanks for the great pattern! Yet another bag for my purse collection. {{{SHHH don’t tell my husband>}}}

24. [...] The Weekender Bag (not Amy Butler’s!) – Bag with Divider – Large Tote with Rounded Opening – Beach Bag – A Market Bag – Game Day Gym Bag – Oversized Tote – The Un-Paper Bag – The Detour Bag – Denim [...]

25. Anna says:

I love this bag and hope to make it but the pdf file seems to be stuck.

• Sally says:

I would love to make this bag for a trip I’m taking next weekend but, as Anna said, the pdf file seems to be stuck. Each time I try to open it I only get one page which then refuses to let me scroll or print or anything…I have to open task manager and take down my browser to regain function. Any suggestions?

26. Pam says:

Thanks for sharing this fabulous pattern. I’m thinking of using it for my first try at quilting.

27. [...] projects from around the web! Kindle Case Easy Flower Hair pins Beach Bag Coffee Filter Roses Farmhouse hearts tutorial Doggie scarf __________________ PM's are the [...]

28. Trisha skym says:

Very cute!! Could you email me the materials needed for this project, I cant download pdf on my phone!

mudstang92_2010@hotmail.com

29. Carmen Russell says:

Thank you this pattern,i will try to make one soon wish you all the best.

30. Connie says:

What a cute pattern, perfect for boating! I need to make one of these!

31. Suz says:

I have been looking for a swim bag for ages. This is perfect. Finding it now is great – I might be able to finish before the spring! Thank you!

32. What if I can’t print pattern? Can u give me the measurements for the sides & pockets?

33. Linda says:

What a great bag! I was looking for a birthday gift for a friend and found your bag. This is perfect. Especially for someone who has received many handmade gifts from me already.
    The tutorial is easy to follow. Results are super!
    I think I will have to make one for myself!

34. aysha mafra says:

thankyou very much for your bag pattern.

35. Pam says:

Great pattern. Bag is large enough for my aquasize floatation belt, a pair of hand weights, swim shoes, towel and swim suit. Easy to make, just a little patience needed binding the end panels to the bag.

36. Nina says:

My computer can’t read this for some reason and I have to go to task manager to shut down. It hangs everything up. I noticed someone else had this problem too.

37. […] Get the free bag pattern here […]

38. Gaileee says:

I am going to make this into a yoga mat bag. I am going to make it 27 inches wide instead to fit a yoga mat. I’ll let you know how it turns out! Thanks.

yoga with gaileee